September, 2018

New year’s behaviour gets tick of approval

POLICE have praised Macarthur residents for their behaviour over the Christmas and new year period.
Nanjing Night Net

Campbelltown crime manager Greg Inger said: “Overall it was very good.”

“We had a few drink-driving incidents but it wasn’t over the top. We had no fatalities or significant accidents,” he said.

There were also “minimal incidents” on New Year’s Eve.

Camden crime manager Jayne Doherty said that in general Camden and Wollondilly people had been “quite well-behaved”.

She said Camden highway patrol and general duties officers conducted increased random breath tests and targeted speeding and other traffic offences between December 18 and January 3.

“Camden general duties conducted 7385 RBTs during this period while the Camden highway patrol conducted 9517 RBTs,” Detective Inspector Doherty said.

Despite some positive readings, drivers overall had been “generally responsible”.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Southbound creates good vibesReview

Southbound has come to a close once again.SUNSHINE, good vibes and more sunshine appear to have been the main ingredients for the 11th Southbound festival.
Nanjing Night Net

Featuring two days of music, extensive food van choices and impressive outfits and camping scenarios, it was one that lived up to previous years expectations regardless of a few expected hiccups.

Change was a huge concept at this year’s event, particularly with the introduction of vehicles into the camp grounds, which no doubt needs a few more years of practise before it will be perfected to be on par with the international festivals after which the concept is modelled.

The overall festival set up still created a great atmosphere with the addition of a champagne bar and greater variety of food vendors situated throughout the festival as well as the village. Midnight hot chip runs became almost too easy for most.

Then, of course, there was the music.

Dreamy tunes eased punters into the day, with Vance Joy, Asgeir and Safia all pulling large crowds for a midday slot, with Jagwar Ma kicking off the move from swaying into dancing.

George Ezra pulled all the ladies, while Temper Trap seductively lulled the crowd into a complete sing a long.

Alison Wonderland took everyone down the rabbit hole, playing a set that woke up the exhausted masses.

The real stars of day one appeared to have been lefty’s stage closers Salt N Pepa, with all reports saying that their DJ set was the highlight of the day with their overwhelming enthusiasm.

Empire of the Sun visually enthralled with seascape nightmare ensembles drawing people to the stage, purely to witness what seemed to be under the sea mayhem for the final set of the day.

Day two saw half the campsite flock to the Busselton foreshore in the early hours, no doubt revelling in the ocean’s ability to wipe away the dirt and decisions of the day before.

As people wandered back from the shores of Busselton, the music lured crowds back into the main festival area.

Milky Chance and Sticky Fingers were commended for their smooth energy on stage, while veteran rockers Spiderbait brought the house down, captaining their audience and demanding a reaction.

The beauty of the set was the novelty of it, with the Black Betty sing along seeing what was most likely the most energised reaction from the soon-to-be heat stroke victims of Southbound.

It was a loved farewell that saw Bluejuice play their final set as a group, with their humour appreciated by all in attendance with a string of videos, gags and tunes that left the crowd with fond memories of what felt like their favourite uncles.

SBTRKT left less fond memories however. Due to technical difficulties only a couple of songs were played before all hope was abandoned of a full set.

Alt J soothed the crowd into the Mainbreak stage completion; their gentle songs making all very ready to call it a night as witnessed with the mass crowd exodus after Breezeblocks hit its final note.

All in all it was ridiculously hot, ridiculously exhausting and resulted in an outrageous amount of sun screen and aloe vera being purchased, but most of all, it had all the ingredients of a ridiculously fun festival.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Blues find motivation in nine’s competition

Group Nine
Nanjing Night Net

THROUGH the support of Tumut’s legion of long-time supporters, the Blues have found an inspired way to kick-start the Group Nine season.

Incumbent Blues president Joe McGrath, who has taken over the club reins from Nick Roddy, yesterday revealed the proud club is in the throes of establishing a new tradition in the mountain town.

In a bid to motivate players and build depth through the club’s ranks, the Blues are set to take a fresh approach to preseason training by conducting a nine’s competition.

“We have a nine’s competition starting in February that is being organised by the club’s many loyal ‘old boys’,” McGrath revealed.

“It’s a great thing for the players and for the club. We have a good number of players and more than enough for a pub against pub type thing.

“It’s the first time we have done something like this.”

In addition to the nine’s competition, McGrath revealed the club is set to contest a “couple” of preseason games in the lead-up to the start of the Group Nine competition in April.

Tumut face the daunting prospect of hosting Wagga powerhouse Southcity at Twickenham in the first round of the competition on Saturday April 11.

In a bid to get the season off to a winning start, the Blues commenced preseason training three weeks ago.

“The boys have done well (over the past three weeks),” McGrath said.

The club is now eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Blue’s new captain-coach, New Zealand born five-eighth Arana Taumata, who is expected to arrive in the mountain town at the end of the month.

The 25 year old playmaker has NRL experience and has represented the New Zealand Maori team.

Tumut will train tonight at Twickenham Oval.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Alleged thief refused bail

ACCORDING to police prosecutor Garry Rowe, alleged thief Brendan Barnes takes anything that is not “nailed down”.
Nanjing Night Net

The 23-year-old applied for bail in Orange Local Court on Thursday after he was charged with several offences including failure to pay for fuel, using another person’s credit card and failing to pay for thousands of dollars worth of accommodation and food at multiple hotels in Orange.

Alleged thief, 23-year-old Brendan Barnes was refused bail n Orange Local Court on Thursday.

Sergeant Rowe said Barnes, of Glasson Drive and Brooklands Drive, had a criminal history littered with charges of dishonestly obtaining financial advantage by deception.

“There is s strong likelihood of further offences committed whilst at liberty … court orders don’t do anything to mitigate his behaviour,” he said.

Barnes’ solicitor Peter Ringbauer said his client had made plans to sell his car for about $70,000 over the weekend and if the sale had gone through, he could use the money as surety.

However, Barnes was unsure if the sale had gone ahead as he had been arrested and detained in prison and was unable to contact his partner.

“He’s an excavator operator … he was hoping to get employment in late January,” Mr Ringbauer said.

Mr Ringbauer said Barnes was willing to report to police and would not enter any service stations or hotels while on bail, however, it was not enough to convince the magistrate, Terry Lucas, to grant him bail.

“These are serious and prevalent allegations,” he said.

“It appears to be a strong case.”

Barnes will remain in custody until his next court appearance in February.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Only days left to have your say

WITH only five days to go until the Woolworths development application for a new petrol station in Tuncurry is removed from public display at Great Lakes Council, the push is on to be heard.
Nanjing Night Net

MORE LIKES: A Facebook page has been set up in opposition to the proposed Woolworths fuel outlet at Tuncurry.

Woolworths’ controversial proposal was first put up for public comment on December 11 at council. Its display period was extended from the required 14 to 30 days, to take into account council’s shutdown over Christmas and New Year. The application is not available for viewing online. The closing date for public submissions is now 4.30pm on Monday January 12, after which council will consider feedback received and suggest amendments to the application accordingly. A final decision will then be made.

The proposed project for a new Woolworths owned petrol station at 190 The Lakes Way in Tuncurry (opposite the cemetery) has received mixed feedback on the Advocate’s facebook page, however the ‘Say No To Woolworth Petrol in Tuncurry’ facebook site had risen to 432 likes by the time of printing.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.